A correspondence blog

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Adopt an Animal Feedback

Greetings, all!
As I said in my previous post, I'm starting on a proposal for an Adopt-an-Animal program here at Mote (Foster Friends is the proposed name, with a separate program for the dolphin, whale, and turtle hospitals called Guardian Angels). I would love feedback/creative suggestions for two things: I need a cute tag-line for the program, and I want to know, of the list below, which three animals you would consider adopting.

I'd like a tag-line that incorporates friendship or support without ownership. Normally, taking ownership is good, but it makes our aquarists nervous. To give you an idea of a tag-line, Brookfield Zoo uses "Share the care." My only goal is to do better than that. Even the suggestions of buzzwords would be great. I just need a jumping off point. I kind of went crazy with ideas yesterday, and put the whole thing together in a little over an hour, which kind of zapped my energy for today.

Here is the list of currently proposed animals.

Hugh the Manatee
Buffett the Manatee
Moonshine the Pantropical Spotted Dolphin
Harvey the Long-Snouted Spinner Dolphin
Hang Tough the Green Sea Turtle
Shelley the Loggerhead Sea Turtle
Montego the Loggerhead Sea Turtle
Edgar the Loggerhead Sea Turtle
Nurse Shark
Blacktip Shark
Bull Shark
Sandbar Shark
Goliath Grouper
Spiny Lobster
Slipper Lobster
Lined Seahorse
Clownfish
Southern Ray
Manta Ray
Skate
Octopus
Moray Eel

Please pick your top three. We're doing a visitor survey here as well. If you pick named animals, did the name (or the fact that the animal had a name) influence your decision?
Thanks much, and my best to all!
-Audrey

2 comments:

AllyB said...

Audrey,

Fun assignment! My top three animal picks are
- Octopus
- Buffett the Manatee
- Shelley the Loggerhead Sea Turtle

As far as names go. That's harder! I don't like "share the care" but maybe something simple like..."supporting sea life" or "support the sea"
....hmmm....I'll keep thinking on it.

Lexie

Anna said...

Audrey,

Funny you should ask at the end about names for the animals because as I was reading through I thought why aren't all the animals named?

So I would think either:
a. name all animals that are up for adoption so no one is "left out" or
b. don't name animals and have people pick based on species

I vote for
-Moray Eel
-Moonshine (long name) dolphin
-Hang Tough Green Sea Turtle

I'll think on tag lines. Sounds like a fun time!